Pages

"Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Withering my intuition leaving opportunities behind...
Feed my will to feel this moment, urging me to cross the line.
Reaching out to embrace the random.
Reaching out to embrace whatever may come" -Tool







Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Work It Out!

Lots of my fellow bloggies have been talking about circuit workouts and short, high intensity workouts.  These intense workouts are usually full body workouts that immediately raise your heart rate and keep it elevated during the entire workout.  Basically you are sweating and breathing very hard and utilizing most muscle groups throughout the workout.

I decided to do a circuit workout today.  While, I typically do a decent amount of cardio followed by weights, I really wanted to integrate more of a circuit into my workout.  My goal was to get my heart rate up during short cardio sessions, follow that by full body strength, and repeat.
 So this is what I did:
5 min warm-up bike- Resistance 5, 70ish rpm
     5 min hard bike- Resistance 8, 85-105ish rpm
     Burpee with 5 pushups, Burpee with 4 pushups, Burpee with 3 pushups
     Repeat hard bike and burpees
            5 min elliptical- Incline 7, Resistance 6, 175 strides per minute
            3 sets of 8 pullups and dips each
            5 min elliptical- Incline 15, Resistance 8, 160 strides per minute
            King's chair abs- 3 sets of 8
                        Hamstrings pulls- 3 sets of 8
                        5 pushups
                        1 dolphin plank
                                        Stretch
This workout really got my heart rate and breathing rate up, way more than what I typically get out of a run or elliptical session!! Its great to break a sweat, push yourself, and try something new.  A few hours later and I can already feel it!  Now that is getting something out of your workout!

Following my crazy workout, I needed fuel.  I had baked sweet potato with peanut butter, sauteed spinach and onions, and baked tofu marinated in soy sauce and vinegar.  It was my first time cooking with tofu.  I am still researching the health benefits and possible problems with soy.  There is so much controversy!  More on this to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment